Student Paper Competition
Each year CORS conducts a student paper competition to recognize the contribution of a paper either directly to the field of operational research through the development of methodology or to another field through the application of operational research. The competition serves to showcase the high quality of OR education in Canada as well as the excellence of the new generation of operational researchers. Prizes are awarded in two categories: Undergraduate and Open.
The applicant must be enrolled as a full-time student in a Canadian institution, in an undergraduate, masters, or PhD program during the school year 2021–2022. Canadians who are studying outside of Canada are also eligible. Papers where all applicants are undergraduates may be submitted to either category: Open or Undergraduate, but not to both. Papers where some authors are graduate students must be submitted to the Open category. MBA students (and other specialized master students) must submit to the Open category with their applied projects. Published papers are eligible for the competition only if their initial submission date (for publication) is after the previous year's CORS Annual Conference.
Chair: Tamon Stephen
Application deadline 5 April 2022
Chair: Andre Cire
Deadline to indicate your intent to participate 1 March 2022
Submit your intent to participate by sending an email with the title and abstract to
Deadline to submit your full paper: 5 April 2022.
Fill out the online application form. The form is automatically submitted to the Chair of the competition.
All competitors should apply for CORS student funding by the deadline, in case they become a finalist here.
The entry includes:
1. Abstract of 200 words or less. Author's name, address, phone number, and email address. Make sure the abstract clearly highlights the motivation, contribution, and potential impact of the paper.
2. Academic institution and supervisor's name, if applicable.
3. Indication of whether the team is planning to attend the CORS Annual Conference if selected as Finalists. Note that papers selected as Finalists must be presented at the conference in order to further be considered for First Prize or Honourable Mention.
4. A PDF copy of the paper:
- No longer than 35 pages (with minimum 1-inch margins, maximum 34 lines per page, and minimum font size of Times 11) including all figures, tables, appendices, and references.
- The submitted paper must not contain any information identifying the authors or their institutions.
5. An email from the supervisor indicating that the participant is the first author of the paper should be sent to the competition chair. Supervisors must agree to be on the refereeing committee for the competition, which requires evaluating three competition papers in April. If this is not possible, the supervisor should identify a suitable alternate committee member.
Student Paper Competition Winners
Theodore Morissette, Eric Entz, Andrew Veldhuis, Razi Sayed
Imad Mechmachi, Philippe Lavoie, Reda Kzaz, Jean-Yves Potvin
Sarah McCurdy, Meghan Stronach, Allison Jacobs, Alyssa Hopkins
Christian Bingane, Miguel Anjos, Sébastien Le Digabel
Gabriel Jarry-Bolduc, Warren Hare
Milan Kaur, Mandeep Hanspal, Jui Champaneri, Sathana Srikanthan
Negin Bolkhanian, Matthew Reyers
Alexandra Hayes, Christian Gould, Kevin Chu, Srikajan Santhirakumaran
Taha Mirza, Rupan Dandiwal, Shayan Altaf, Brady Lee
Oshane Jackson, Ismael Martinez
Brianna Horton, Constance Gervais, Danielle Shawcross, Juliana Gonzalez
Zahra Bodla, Ahad Ismail, Ra'd Daoud, AbdulRehman Shaheen
Jordan Moreau, Ian Gresel, Andrew Scott, Mohamed-Akeel R. Hasham
Auyon A. Siddiq
Kishley Bhalla, Craig Mathews, W Brett Robinson, Katie Sclater
Nicole Mo, Alborz Namazi, Joyce Tai, Eric Yuen
Benny Wai, Alex Liu, Lawrence Huen
Bo Chen, Luheng Wang, Wenjiao Chen, Xiao Luo
Michael Jong Kim
Issac He, Mark Strange, Hans Aisake
Sam Maggs, Michelle Leung, Svyatoslav Glazyrin
Jonathan Y. Li
Shuang E, Derek Hewitt, Jenny Morrow, Scott Van Bolhuis
Erin Hrycyschyn, Felicia Ng, Brent Ouwerkerk, Jimmie Tom, Sean Tomilin
Mehmet A. Begen
Maxine Cunningham, John Schmidt, Jonathon Braamms
Mike Clay, Yvan Fortier, Chris Samuel
Angela Kercher, Arthur Lee, Shawn Halvorson
Sterling Todd Keys, Sean Lelacheur, Greg Ninowsky
Allison Bouthillier, Amanda Meleshko, Peter Wares
Kieran Ryan, Stewart Wilson
Timothy C Y Chan
Yong Yue Li
David Mann, Anh Nguyen, Sean O’Donnell
Megan Inglis, Jen Tyrkalo, Jillene Wiebe, Mark Zschocke
Chelsea Baron, Jennifer Der, Lukas Deeg, Mark Zschocke
Alden Christianson, Wilson Mok, Gabriel Wong, Kelly O’Byrne
Daniel Bowker, Jared Poplawski, Scott Knibbs
Ernest Hongtu Wu
Adam Crowe, Andrea Denney, David Fath, Elaine Siu, Linda Tarshahani
W.T. Huh, R.O. Roundy
S. Lapierre, A.B. Ruiz, P. Soriano
P. St-Louis, J.A. Ferland, B. Gendron
M. Albareda-Sambola, J.A. Diaz, E. Fernandez
A. Benjamin, M. Noel, R. D'Ilio
K. Chong, M. Grewal, J. Loo
K. Bessette, J. Litchfield, J. Johnson, M. Riskin
Aaron Luntala Nsakanda
Joey Cherdarchuk, Shahnoor Lalani, Kimberley Mik, Thaddeus Sim
Jinliang Cheng, George Steiner, Paul Stephenson
Jason H. Goto
Chris Goodwin, Joanne Kok, Steve Kabanuk
Laura Morrison, Les Stelmach, Mark Gannon
Moren Lévesque, Kenneth R. MacCrimmon
John T. Blake, Michael W. Carter
Jay Baraniecki, Chris Neuman, Laura Morrison
Mike MacDonald, Bernie Lee